I have been very lucky in my travel life and not experienced too many delays, but recently I was lucky enough to experience a lovely 6 hour delay overnight in Bodrum and it was an eye-opener. There were a few things that I noticed…!
- Everyone must take up at least 2 seats – for cramped sleeping, for your luggage to rest on, or just to create a personal barrier that other people won’t invade.
- You must complain loudly about how awful your holiday has been and how awful the food is in foreign countries.
- Complain in a martyred voice about having to work in the morning.
- Tut and sigh a lot.
- If you’re not tutting and sighing, you’re laughing and pretending that you’re having a jolly good time.
- Stand in a queue for anything.
- Listen intently to all foreign announcement in whatever language, even if it is just about not smoking in the airport. Tut and sigh again.
- Strike up conversations with anyone and everyone and then spend the rest of the delay trying to avoid them.
I’m sure there are other things that people have observed – how about you? I’m sure it also varies depending on nationalities. Any feedback welcome!